Quantity surveyors can make a valuable contribution to the following services:
- Establishing budgets from information provided at the feasibility stage, which may be limited to a schedule of net area requirements before any drawings are produced;
- Controlling costs through the design stage to maintain the integrity of the established budget and to ensure that the owner receives the best value;
- Evaluating the cost effectiveness of alternative building shapes, component specifications, and various materials and in addition the provision of cost checks at various key stages throughout the design process.
- Reviewing a project using systematic and creative effort directed at analyzing the functional requirements of a project for the purpose of achieving essential functions at optimum costs.
- Analyzing the proposed budget to ensure inclusion of items normally associated with a project of its kind, as well as confirming that the budget is adequate to complete the project;
- Periodic progress draw reviewing of the request for funds to determine that it is reasonable and to confirm that the remaining budget is adequate to complete the project;
- Advising on the budget for indirect costs such as design, legal, marketing, leasing etc.
- Providing independent advice, including practical experience in many facets of the industry, as well as a working knowledge of the arbitration process and related law.
- Assisting legal counsel and appearing as an expert witness at trial.
- Life Cycle Cost Plans, Reserve Fund Studies, Property Conditions Reports, Risk Analysis, Insurance Replacement Cost Assessment, Project Management, Project Scheduling, Construction Management, Construction and Project Cash Flows, Material Take-offs